Friday, October 18, 2013

Inequalities (SumBlog6)

My child,
We were walking, as we like to do sometimes. You were taking in the world, eyes wide and full of wonder. As we walked, we passed a busy street, filled with kids playing. As we drew nearer, we saw a group of kids making fun of another boy. They were yelling mean things, racial slurs, making fun of him because of the color of his skin. They pushed him down, and he fell to the earth, crying. You knew this was not right. You let go of my hand and ran to the boy. You picked up his glasses from the dust and wiped the boy's tear stained cheeks. My heart swelled with pride as you squeezed his hand reassuringly and told the boy that you would be his friend, no matter what. The smile on his face was too beautiful for words, radiating hope and joy. I saw a glimpse of your heart that day, and your love for others. And when we walked away that afternoon, I could tell you were thinking, your little brow furrowed in concentration. You looked up at me with those eyes and asked why some people are so mean to others.

How can one answer a question like that? Racial prejudice runs deep but I also believe it is taught. Your young mind hasn't experienced the hatred that can cripple someone's soul. Your innocent heart can't imagine hating someone simply for the color of their skin. Your small hands can't help but rush to those who need help. That is you. Untouched by hate and the inequality that causes us to ask: why? Why do people hate simply because of skin, or gender, or differences? 

My wish for you, my child, is that your kindness remains the same. I know that the world can be a cold place and you will encounter people that may hate you.  I pray that hate never becomes a value in your heart. Through the years, people may leave cruel marks on your beautiful heart with their remarks, looks, and laughs. But I hope you remember that you have value. Not because of who you are, or who you will become, simply because you are. You exist. You are you. You have a heart and a soul and a spirit. This is important for you to remember. But, it is equally important to remember this of others as well.You, that little boy, every single person in the world, all have value because you are human beings with thoughts, feelings, and dreams. I can't fully explain to you why people hate others based simply off what the eye can see, or labels they've created. But I can tell you that hearts like yours will change the world.
Love,
Mom

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your short story. I think that you used some great descriptive words that made your story easy to picture in my mind. I also enjoyed the topic. It is very easy for many of us, I'm sure, to relate to someone being bullied because of something as simple as their race. We all know how it feels to be picked on and I thought that it was cool that the girl in this story was so kind and helpful to the victim. It is so true that we as young children do not know nearly anything in terms of the hatred that some people carry within themselves. Even when we get older, it may never be possible to fully understand why someone could have so much hate towards someone to actually carry out an action to hurt them either physically or emotionally. Again, I enjoyed your short story and I think that it truly does take people with very strong hearts to try and end bullying that unfortunately goes on in the world today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your blog post. It was a unique way to write about your thoughts for the week. I can truly relate and understand. My wish would be for peoples minds to remain as pure and peaceful as they are when they are children. If only the world were so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Alanna I loved this blog post! It was truly beautiful, and the way it was articulated made it quite convincing. I loved how without even saying it, I could make the connection between this letter and what we learned about Jane Addams social ethics. I do feel like we learn to set people apart, and them treat them differently, it is not simply inherent. I loved your twist on this weeks blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this post. It was so unique and did not just state facts. I like how you tied in the different aspects from the week. It was a very powerful story. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a mother myself, this poem made me tear up a bit becaseu that is al I ever want for my child. I want him to know that that no matter what life throws at him that he is so much more than the labels that society places on him and that when he is faced with someone that is different from him, that he remembers to always treat others well even if they do not reciprocate the notion. I really enjoyed the poem. It is a said reality that we live in whre inequality prevaisl everywhere, but also very important to instill good values in our children that litereally are the future of the world. Great post!!! Thank you for such a touching poem, really got me thinking!!!

    ReplyDelete